PhD Student in Informatics
Application deadline: April 18th 2017
Reference number: HS 2017/88
The position is within Informatics, with a specialization in critical infrastructure protection. At the University of Skövde Informatics is defined as the science that addresses how information is represented, processed and communicated in artificial and natural systems, and how such systems are used and developed in order to achieve usable and effective applications and solutions for individuals, organizations or society. The position is supported by an EU ISF (Internal Security Fund) project: Threat modeling and resilience of critical infrastructure.
The position comprises PhD studies (at least 80%) and departmental duties (teaching and administrative tasks, at most 20%). Additional assignments might be included in the position. The doctoral student should contribute to on-going work and to the development of research within critical infrastructure protection. More specifically, the doctoral student's research is expected to contribute to the on-going project: Threat modeling and resilience of critical infrastructure, by providing new knowledge and new methods for critical infrastructures protection.
The qualification requirements are:
- an advanced level degree or at least coursework equal to 240 ECTS credits where a minimum of 60 ECTS credits is on the advanced level, or knowledge equivalent to these levels of university study
- at least 60 ECTS credits of documented study within informatics, computer science or other potentially relevant subject area. At least 15 ECTS credits of the 60 ECTS credits should comprise a final year project on the advanced level
- a passing grade on the Swedish senior high school course "English B" or equivalent.
Base of evaluation
In addition to the qualification requirements, the bases of evaluation for this position are:
- Good ability to do what is required for education on the PhD-level.
- Degree of proficiency that is required for the employment (see qualification requirements).
- Documented strong analytical mathematical skills and strong system implementation skills.
- Good ability to communicate well in Swedish, orally and in written.
- Strong commitment to research justified by relevant publications or technical reports.
- Good experience with systems modelling and analysis.
- Good knowledge of graph theory, computational logic and stochastic processes.
- Good background in real-time systems.
- Good programming skills, particularly for developing simulations and data analytic applications.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work independently.
- Good ability to plan and organize one's workload within the demands and challenges of an academic environment.
For this position, special emphasis will be placed upon good experience with systems modelling and analysis, good knowledge of graph theory, computational logic and stochastic processes, good background in real-time systems, and good programming skills, particularly for developing simulations and data analytic applications as well as good interpersonal skills and ability to work independently.
The PhD student is positioned at the School of Informatics, which is a school in expansion. Our research is internationally distinguished and our educational programs receive high rankings when it comes to both quality and cooperation with workplaces. Today there are 9 Professors, 14 PhD students and in total about 120 employees at the School of Informatics.
The University of Skövde strives towards ethnic and cultural diversity and equal gender distribution within all employment categories. As the majority of the employees in the subject area are men the University especially invites women to apply for this position.
The PhD student will work closely with the industrial partner CombiTech for the project and for the PhD research.
The position is a temporary employment until PhD degree, but no longer than 5 years. The position has an attractive salary and social benefits. Salary will be paid according to the local agreement "Wage ladder for PhD Students". The position is expected to start as soon as possible.
Information about the positions
Gunnar Mathiason, Head of Division
Jianguo Ding, Project Leader
Human Resources Office
Anders Johansson, SACO-s
Sonja Nohlgren, ST
Helen Jern, Swedish Teacher's Union
These persons may be reached through the Universitys switchboard 0046-(0)500-448000.