Academic & Professional Qualifications
- BEng, MPhil, PhD
- Chartered Engineer (CEng), United Kingdom
- Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET), United Kingdom
Production simulation, simulation-based optimisation, multi-objective optimisation, decentralised (agent-based) machine control systems.
Research Experience & Grants
- Apr 2008 - Jan 2011: Main applicant and project leader
Project Title: OPTIMisation: using Intelligent Simulation Tools - Robust and Real-Time extensions (OPTIMIST-RRT)
Project partners: Volvo Cars and Volvo Technology. Total project budget is ~9 Million SEK with 3.3 Million SEK funded by the Knowledge Foundation, Sweden.
- Jan 2006 - Apr 2008: Senior investigator
Project Title: Factory Analyses in ConcepTual phase using Simulation (FACTS)
Project partners: Volvo Cars Corporation, Volvo AB and Chalmers University of Technology. Total project budget is ~22 Million SEK with ~8 Million SEK for the research group at the University of Skövde funded by VINNOVA.
- Apr 2005 - Jan 2008: Main applicant and project leader
Project Title: OPTIMisation: using Intelligent Simulation Tools (OPTIMIST)
Project partners: Posten AB, Volvo Cars, Volvo Powertrain and Volvo Technology. Total project budget is 8.6 Million SEK with 2.8 Million SEK funded by the Knowledge Foundation, Sweden.
- Apr 2003 – Dec 2005: Co-applicant and operative project leader
Project Title: MAchine Services Support based on Innovative Virtual Engineering (MASSIVE)
Project partners include Volvo Powertrain, Volvo Cars, Euromation, AP&T and DELFOi. The project is funded by the Knowledge Foundation, Sweden (1.2 Million SEK).
- Apr 1998 – Jun 2001: Senior researcher
Project Title: Integrated Design, Simulation and Distributed Control of Agile Modular Manufacturing Machinery (VIR-ENG)
This joint European research project was funded by the European Commission (ESPRIT Framework IV 25444, 2.3 Million Euro). Collaborators of the project included De Montfort University (UK), Euromation (formerly known as Volvo Automation Group), Honeywell, DELFOi and the University of Skövde.
- Feb 1995 – Feb 1998: Researcher and software engineer
Project Title: Investigation into an Intelligent and Distributed Software Architecture for the Control of Flexible Manufacturing Systems
Project Title : A Dynamic WWW Information System for Engineering Laboratory
Teaching & Administration
Recent publications (2007-2008) with the OPTIMIST research team
1. Ng, A., Grimm, H., Lezama, T., Persson, A., Andersson, M. and Jägstam, M. (2008) OPTIMISE: An Internet-Based Platform for Metamodel-Assisted Simulation Optimization. Recent Advances in Communication Systems and Electrical Engineering, X. Huang, Y-S. Chen and S-L. Ao (eds), Springer, pp. 281-296.
2. Persson, A., Grimm, H. and Ng, A. (2008) A Metamodel-Assisted Steady-State Evolution Strategy for Simulation-Based Optimization. Current Trends in Intelligent Systems and Computer Engineering, Springer (to appear).
3. Ng, A., Syberfeldt, A, Grimm, H. and Svensson, J. (2008) Multi-Objective Simulation Optimization and Significant Dominance for Comparing Production Control Mechanisms, In 18th International Conference on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing (FAIM’08), Skövde, Sweden, pp. 1210-1219.
4. Ng, A., Svensson, J. and Urenda M. (2008) Introducing Simulation-based Optimization for Production Systems Design to Industry: the FACTS Game, In 18th International Conference on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing (FAIM’08), Skövde, Sweden, pp. 1359-1372.
5. Syberfeldt, A., Grimm, H., Ng, A. and John, R.I. (2008) Design of Experiments for training metamodels in simulation-based optimization of manufacturing systems. In 18th International Conference on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing (FAIM’08), Skövde, Sweden, pp. 1114-1121.
6. Syberfeldt, A., Grimm, H., Ng, A. and John, R.I. (2008) A Parallel Surrogate-Assisted Multi-Objective Evolutionary Algorithm for Computationally Expensive Optimization Problems. In Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, Hong Kong, June 1-6, 2008.
7. Ng, A., Grimm, H., Lezama, T., Persson, A., Andersson, M. and Jägstam, M. (2007) Web Services for Metamodel-Assisted Parallel Simulation Optimization. In Proceedings of The IAENG International Conference on Internet Computing and Web Services (ICICWS'07), Hong Kong, 21-23 March 2007, pp. 879-885.
8. Ng, A., Urenda, M., Svensson, J., Skoogh, A. and Johansson, B. (2007) FACTS Analyser: An innovative tool for factory conceptual design using simulation, In Proceedings of Swedish Production Symposium, Gothenburg, 28-30 August 2007.
9. Andersson, M., Persson, A., Grimm, H., and Ng, A. (2007) A Web-based simulation optimization system for industrial scheduling, Winter Simulation Conference 2007, Washington D.C., 9-12 December 2007.
10. Andersson, M., Persson, A., Grimm, H., and Ng, A. (2007) Simulation-based Scheduling using a Genetic Algorithm with Consideration to Robustness: A Real-world Case Study, In Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing, June 18-20, 2007, Philadelphia, USA, 957-964.
A.H.C. Ng, J. Adolfsson, M. Sundberg and L.J. De Vin (2008). Virtual manufacturing for press line monitoring and diagnostics, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 48, Issue 5, pp. 565-575.
L.J. De Vin, A.H.C. Ng, M. Sundberg, P.R. Moore, J. Pu and C.B. Wong (2008). Information fusion for decision support in manufacturing:
studies from the defense sector, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 35, pp. 908-915.
P. R. Moore, A.H.C. Ng, S.H. Yeo, M. Sundberg, C.B. Wong and L.J. De Vin (2008) Advanced Machine Service Support using Internet-enabled 3-D based Virtual Engineering, International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 48, Issue 5, pp. 565-575.
L.J. De Vin, A.H.C. Ng and J. Oscarsson (2004) Simulation Based Decision Support for Manufacturing System Life Cycle Management, Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, Vol.3, No.2 (2004), pp. 115-128.
P. R. Moore, J. Pu, A. H. C. Ng, C. B. Wong, S.K. Chong, J. Adolfsson, , P. Olofsgård, and J.-O. Lundgren (2003) Virtual Engineering: An integrated approach to agile manufacturing machinery design and control, Journal of Mechatronics, Vol.13, Issue 10, pp. 1105-1121.
Olofsgård, P., Ng, A. H. C., Moore, P. R., Pu, J., Wong, C. B. and De Vin, L. J. (2002) Distributed virtual manufacturing for development of modular machine systems, Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, 1 (2), pp. 141-158.
Adolfsson, J., Ng, A. H. C., Olofsgård, P., Moore, P. R., Pu, J. and Wong, C. B. (2002) Design and simulation of component-based manufacturing machine systems, Journal of Mechatronics, 12 (9-10), pp. 1239-1258.
Edmund H.M. Cheung, Ricky W.H. Yeung, Amos H.C. Ng and Ricky S.T. Fung (2000) HSCF: a Holonic Shop Floor Control Framework for Flexible Manufacturing Systems, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 121-138.
L.J. De Vin, J. Oscarsson, A. H. C. Ng, M. Jägstam and T. Karlsson (2004) Manufacturing Simulation: Good Practice, Pitfalls, and Advanced Applications, submitted to IMC-21, Limerick Ireland, 2004 (accepted).
F. Oldefors, A. H. C. Ng & L.J. De Vin (2004) PLC Verification and Monitoring Using 3D Graphical Simulation, submitted to IMC-21, Limerick Ireland, 2004 (accepted).
A.H.C. Ng, L.J. De Vin, M. Sundberg, F. Oldefors, P.R. Moore and S. Yeo (2004), An integrated environment for machine system simulation, remote monitoring and fault detection, Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics, August 25-28, Setúbal, Portugal, Volume 2, pp. 150-157.
Sundberg, M., Ng, A. H. C. and De Vin, L. J. (2003) Distributed modular logic controllers for modular conveyor systems. In Proceedings of the 20th International Manufacturing Conference, Ireland, 3-5 September 2003, pp. 493-502.
Olofsgård, P., Ng, A. H. C., Moore, P. R., Pu, J. and Wong, C. B. (2002) VIR-ENG integration platform. Proceedings of the 8th Mechatronics Forum International Conference, Mechatronics 2002, 24-26 June, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands.
A.H.C. Ng (2001) Programming and testing distributed control systems using 3-D graphical simulations. Proceedings of the Mekatronikmöte 2001, Stockholm.
Chong, S. K., Pu, J., Moore, P. R., Wong, C. B., Chen, X. and Ng, A. H. C. (2002) Component-based runtime support framework for agile modular manufacturing machinery. Proceedings of the 8th Mechatronics Forum International Conference, Mechatronics 2002, 24-26 June, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands.
Adolfsson, J., Ng, A. H. C., Olofsgård, P., Moore, P. R., Pu, J. and Wong, C. B. (2000) Design and simulation of component-based manufacturing machine systems. Proceedings of the 7th Mechatronics Forum International Conference, Mechatronics 2000, 6-8 September, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
Adolfsson, J., Ng, A. H. C. and Moore, P. R. (2000) Modular machine system design using graphical simulation. Proceedings of the The 33rd CIRP International Seminar on Manufacturing Systems, 5-7 June, Stockholm, Sweden, pp. 335-340.
R.W.H. Yeung, E.H.M. Cheung and A.H.C. Ng (1999), "Holonic Manufacturing Task Scheduling using a multi-level negotiation protocol", 6th National Industrial Engineering Annual Conference, Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society, China, Beijing , China, Apr 1999, pp 95-100.
R.W.H. Yeung, H.M.E. Cheung and A.H.C. Ng (1998), "IntraMEL: a dynamic WWW laboratory information system for manufacturing engineering laboratories", International Conference on Multi-media and Engineering Education (mmcc '98), Hong Kong, Jul 1998.
A.H.C. Ng, R.W.H. Yeung and E.H.M. Cheung (1996), HSCS: the Design of Holonic Shopfloor Control System, 5th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA’96), Kauai, Hawaii, Nov 1996.
A.H.C. Ng, R.W.H. Yeung and E.H.M. Cheung (1996), An Object-Oriented Information Model for the Control of Holonic Manufacturing Systems, The 12th International Conference on CAD/CAM, Robotics and Factories of the Future, Aug 1996.
A.H.C. Ng, R.W.H. Yeung and E.H.M. Cheung (1995), New Paradigm for the Flexible Manufacturing Systems: A Holonic Approach, The 3rd International Conference on Manufacturing Technology in Hong Kong, Dec 1995.
Last modified 2008-07-01