Residence Permit for Studies

Non-EU/EEA citizens

If you are planning to study in Sweden for more than three months, you must have a residence permit for studies. In order to obtain a student residence permit, you need health insurance and funding (see:

Students outside the EU need to apply for residence permit for studies and receive the residence permit before they travel to Sweden. Students may have to pay an application fee.

The application for the residence permit for studies can be done online on the Swedish Migration Agency’s (Migrationsverket) website:  

Please contact Migrationsverket directly if you have questions:

Students liable to pay tuition fees in Sweden need to wait for the confirmation of the payment of the first installment of the tuition fee before applying for residence permit.

Exchange students should submit the residence permit application as soon as they receive the Notification of Admission, since it can take 16 weeks or more for the application to be processed.

Please note that it has come to our attention that many students have been denied residence permits due to a lack of funding and/or health insurance. Please check the following webpage for detailed information about the requirements:

Tuition-fee paying students are covered by the insurance FAS. Please check the following webpage for its terms and conditions: FAS.

Students with a residence permit valid for less than one year are not included in the Swedish social welfare system. It is therefore very important, if this applies to you, that you ensure some form of private insurance prior to your arrival in Sweden. There are some reciprocal agreements between Sweden and other countries, where all costs for medical care are covered. Please check with your local authorities to determine if these agreements apply to you. If there is no reciprocal agreement, it can not be stressed enough how important it is that you acquire private insurance. Medical care is very expensive in Sweden. Discuss with your individual insurance company what type of coverage (i.e. health, accident, travel, theft etc.) would be the most beneficial for your stay in Sweden. For more information go to

For application forms and rules and regulations concerning visa requirements see the home page of the Swedish Migration Agency.

Check with the Swedish Embassy or Consulate for up-to-date information on migration regulations prior to your departure to Sweden, as they can be changed with only short notice.

Working in Sweden

As of 1 July 2014, students with a residence permit for studies in Sweden who have completed at least two semesters of full-time studies at a Swedish university will be allowed to stay in Sweden for up to six months to look for work or start a business, making it easier for them to launch international careers after studying in Sweden. 

New rules will also apply for international PhD students in Sweden, making it easier for them to receive permanent resident status in Sweden after completing a PhD. According to the new regulations, PhD students who have been in Sweden for four out of the past seven years will be able to qualify for a permanent residence permit.

More information will be published on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website as it becomes available. Please contact the Swedish Migration Board directly with questions.

EU/EEA citizens

EU/EEA citizens and their family members no longer need residence permits for staying in Sweden for more than three months. EU/EEA citizens shall instead register their right of residence. This can be done after your arrival in Sweden during the University Introduction Programme. For more information, see the home page of the Swedish Migration Agency

Citizens of the Nordic countries do not need a residence permit.