Different types of exchange studies

There are different opportunities if you would like to study abroad. You can either go through one of our exchange programs or you can choose to go on your own. Why not write your degree project in a developing country through MFS? Here you can find more information about your different options.

Erasmus is an exchange program made for students who are at an undergraduate or graduate level and for the ones who would like to study 3-12 months at another European institution or do an internship in any of the countries participating in the Erasmus program.  As an Erasmus student, you study at a college or university in another European country on the same conditions as the local students. Your will be accredited by the European Credit Transfer System, ECTS, which is a system for the transfer of credits.  

Erasmus students and interns receive a scholarship from their own university. The scholarship is a contribution to cover additional costs of their stay abroad. Please email utlandsstudier@his.se to find out the the amount of the scholarship for the current year. We can never in advance ensure that you get a scholarship but there are good chances.

To participate in Erasmus mobility you must:

  • be a citizen of any of the countries participating in the Erasmus program or be a permanent resident in Sweden (people who have a residence permit for reasons other than studies, for example, immigrants who have strong links to Sweden because of marriage, work and refugees).
  • be registered at the university, and before departure you must have completed at least one year of higher education.
  • Get your studies abroad accredited or get the internship accepted by the university at home.
  • accomplish a certain language test online, before and during/after your trainee.
  • respond to an electronic survey at the end of your trainee.

Read more about Erasmus+ here

Nordplus is a network between the Nordic and Baltic countries. Nordplus is subject bound and usually, a scholarship is included in the agreement. The student is never ensured a scholarship but if she/he receives one, the amount is about 200 Euro/month. You will need to fill in a student report after the studies are completed.

Read more about Nordplus/EkoTekNor here.

Bilateral agreements
The University of Skövde also offers something called bilateral agreements. These agreements are not a part of any exchange programs. These agreements are individual exchanges that the university has with other institutions, often outside Europe. If you go abroad through a bilateral agreement there is no need to pay any tuition fees. Bilateral agreements can be completely open, which means that all students have the opportunity to apply. Some bilateral agreements can be subjects-bound, which means that students who study a certain subject have a priority to the exchange places.

Linnaeus- Palme is a scholarship for studies abroad in a developing country. As a student, you have the opportunity to apply for a scholarship and study at a university that the University of Skövde have a partnership agreement with (within your main field of study). You need to have at least one year of completed studies at the University of Skövde before you apply and you also need to study full-time (100%). Please find more information about the exchange program here (link).

Please contact the international coordinator, international@his.se if you want to apply for Linnaeus-Palme.

Read more about Linnaeus-Palme here

Go abroad on your own 
You also have the opportunity to go on your own and get the courses you study abroad accredited, just like when you go through an exchange. The biggest difference to go on your own compared to go as an exchange student, is that you have to pay the tuition fee. Of course, you have more freedom if you choose to go on your own but it also means more responsibility. 

For more information about Swedish Study Support; contact CSN. 
Another difference when you study abroad and you go on your own is that you have to pay the tuition fee (you can lend a certain amount from CSN). 

In your application to CSN, you should also send:

  • The final admission decision issued by the university abroad
  • Study plan for the semester abroad
  • Transcript of records 
  • If you have studied a post-secondary education abroad before
  • Final school grades from upper secondary school or equivalent
  • If you have not had student aid at a post-secondary level before
  • Personal information for the ones who are not Swedish citizens, CSNs form 4145
  • Information about costs for applied supplementary loans. If you are looking for loans to pay tuition fees, you need to be able to strengthen the cost.
  • Other allowances. For instance, student aid or from another country or grants to pay the tuition fees.
  • A scholarship letter. If you have received a scholarship, you must send a copy of it.

For more detailed information go to CSN's website.

In many cases, the foreign university requires that you can present a passed language test such as TOEFL, if you would like to study in an English speaking country. You can get a brochure about TOEFL at the office of international relations.

You have the same opportunity to get your studies abroad accommodated to your education as if you went through an exchange. Assuming, you have organized and planned your stay abroad together with your institution. Talk to your student-and career counsellor about when it would be a good time in your education for you to go studying abroad, and also what kind of courses you should be looking for.