Pre arrival information for master's students

Autumn 2017


Checklist - What should you do now?

Checklist for Master's students

Autumn 2017

1. Reply to the admission offer:

In case you were admitted on the first notification (24 March), please reply to your admission offer on "My Pages" on until 12 April 2017; otherwise your admission offer will be deleted.

2. Pay the tuition fee (only students liable to pay tuition fees in Sweden):

In case you are required to pay tuition fees in Sweden, please pay the invoice as soon as you received it. The invoices will be sent to the admitted students who are required to pay tuition in the first week of April.

3. Residence permit for studies in Sweden:

Please note that if you are a non-EU/EEA citizen, you will only be able to apply for a residence permit for studies in Sweden after the first installment of your tuition fee is paid.It is important that students wait for an email from the University's Finance Office confirming the payment of the tuition fee before applying for a residence permit. Residence permit applications should be submitted online directly to the Swedish Migration Agency webpage. Please read carefully this webpage before you apply.

It is important that you upload all required documents when you submit the application online. After you click on the button "submit", you will not be able to make any changes in the application or add any new document!

If you are an EU/EEA citizen, you can move to Sweden without applying for any kind of permit. After your arrival, you must register your right of residence. Please note that you cannot register before coming to Sweden. For more information, please read here.

4. Apply for accommodation

Apply immediately after admission! Please read

5. Make the online registration

Deadline: 20 August 2017. Please read  


All admitted students receive an email with detailed information. Please read it!

Tuition fees and living costs

Tuition fees and living costs

Autumn 2017

Pay the tuition fee (only students who are liable to pay tuition fees in Sweden)

It is strongly recommended that you pay the first instalment of your tuition fee as soon as you receive it. The residence permit application process will not begin at the Swedish Migration Agency until your first semester tuition fee has been paid. 
The invoice will be sent to you by email. If you have any questions about the invoice, methods of payment or even about the confirmation email you will receive after the payment, you are welcome to contact Marie Karlsson from the Finance Office:

Living Costs

Below you will find an estimate in Swedish Krona (SEK) of what the minimal cost of living per month can be for a student. The budget does not include expenses for literature, travel within or outside of Sweden or expenses for household furnishings.

Item                                                Estimate Expenditure in SEK per month

Food                                                 2.000

Student accommodation                  3.500 – 4.000

Local travel                                       500

Telephone/Internet/TV                      300

Clothing, hobby/leisure, other           1.400

Total per month (SEK)                 7.700 – 8.200

For more information:


You must be able to support yourself

According to the website of the Swedish Migration Agency,, the support requirement for a residence permit for studies in Sweden is, at present, a minimum of SEK 8.064 per month (March 2017).

"If you intend to study for one year or more you must show that you can support yourself for 10 months per year. You must show that you have funds for the whole planned study period already the first time you apply for a residence permit.

You must show that you have your support secured by means of verification of personal bank assets, a scholarship or similar means of support, such as a study grant from your home country. You must enclose a bank statement showing that you have your own bank assets available in an account belonging to you. The Swedish Migration Agency does not accept that you share an account with another person, for example, if you have access to your parents’ account. The Swedish Migration Agency does not accept that a sponsor (such as relative or company) covers your support while you are in Sweden, unless the funds are lodged in your own account."

For more information:


Erasmus+ Master Loans

Erasmus+ Master Loans

At the moment, students from Spain and France can apply for financial support through the Erasmus Master Loan scheme for their master’s studies abroad.

Erasmus+ Master Loans allow students to apply for financial support for their Master's studies abroad. Loans will be offered by participating banks and student loan agencies on favorable conditions to mobile students, including better than market interest rates and up to two years to allow graduates to get into a job before beginning repayment. The loan scheme is being established in cooperation with the European Investment Fund (Part of the EIB Group) and will be gradually rolled out across the Erasmus+ programme countries over the first few years of the programme. At the moment, students from Spain and France can apply for financial support through the Erasmus Master Loan scheme for their master’s studies abroad.

Who can apply?
Higher education students who have been accepted for a full master's study programme in another Erasmus+ Programme country can apply for a loan to contribute to their costs. Your destination country must be different from your country of residence, and from that where you obtained your Bachelor's degree.

How much can be borrowed?
Up to €12,000 for a one-year master's programme or up to €18,000 for a two-year master's programme.

Students should apply directly to participating banks or student loan agencies. MicroBank in Spain and BPCE in France are participating banks.


Flight, train schedules, etc.

Book your flight, check train schedules and apply for pick-up service

How to get here

The best way to get to Skövde is to fly to Göteborg (Gothenburg) or Stockholm and take the train from there to Skövde. For further information concerning the timetables and ticket reservations, please contact SJ (Swedish Rail) or the regional transportation company Västtrafik. Please consider that Skövde is closer to Gothenburg.

SJ: Telephone +46 (0) 771-75 75 75

Västtrafik: +46 (0) 771-41 43 00

Please check information about the Pick-Up Service available for students and how you can apply for it. The Pick-Up Service will be available on specific dates before the Introduction Programme, so you can be picked-up at the train station in Skövde and be taken to your accommodation.  

More information at


View from Portalen

Further resources

Campus map

Pick-up Service

Train schedule


Tel.: +46 (0)771-75 75 75

Tel.:+46 (0) 771-41 43 00

Other important preparations (documents, bank account, etc.)

Important preparations

Please make sure you have all you need before you leave home!

- Please be sure that you have organised cash to cover your first days in Sweden and made sure your bank card works outside of your home country.

- Be sure you have packed all relevant original documentation including:

    1. your original bachelor’s diploma,
    2. original grade transcripts,
    3. original translations into English,
    4. passport,
    5. residence permit card (if applicable),
    6. residence permit decision/beslut (if applicable)
    7. European Health insurance card (if applicable),
    8. insurance certificate for private health insurance (if applicable)

Bank information

The use of cash in Sweden is declining and the banks have limited possibilities to administer cash so it is recommended that you use a debit card or a credit card from your home country that is internationally accepted (e.g. Visa, mastercard).

If you are staying in Sweden for 10 months or less, we would recommend you to use a debit card or credit card that is internationally accepted (e.g. Visa, Mastercard).

If you are a student with a residence permit to live in Sweden for 12 months or longer we recommend you to open a bank account in any of the banks represented in Skövde. University of Skövde does not recommend any specific bank, but you are welcome to ask our advice after your arrival and registration into courses. as the banks have limited possibilities to administer cash so it is recommended that you transfer funds from your home bank once the bank account is open.

For opening a bank account in Sweden you may need a Swedish personal ID-number (personnummer), and you will need to bring a letter of acceptance from the University of Skövde, passport, and a registration certificate. You can require a registration certificate at the University of Skövde Student Affairs Office after your registration which will be done after your first programme meeting.

Just a few Swedish banks allow international students to open a bank account without a Swedish personal ID-number (personnummer). However, for some citizens outside EU (Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Syria, etc.) without a Swedish Personal Identification Number (personnummer) it is very difficult to transfer money due to different EU directives and sanctions. If it is possible, talk to someone with experience in these matters before you travel here. Check the possibility of using a credit card that is accepted internationally for economic transactions in Sweden. The credit cards are commonly used everywhere.

Please note that what determines if you are entitled to request a Swedish personal ID-number is the duration of your residence permit, not the duration of the programme you have been admitted into.

Options to bank account

Several major banks in Sweden will no longer allow persons without a Swedish personal ID-number to open a bank account.

Bring a credit card or prepaid card issued by the bank in your home country:

It could be a good idea to set up a PayPal account before coming to Sweden.


Create a user account in order to gain access to the computers, printers, your student email and to have wireless internet access on campus.

Information: Please note that you can attend the IT help desk session during the Introduction Programme or visit the IT Help Desk on campus to get help to create your user account.