Transfer of Credits

This page contains information regarding: What does transfer of credits mean? When should you apply for a transfer of credits? How do you apply?

What does it mean to transfer credits?

The Swedish Higher Education Authority defines transfer of credits as the decision that makes it possible to include certain university education or prior learning in a course or degree.

If a student at a higher education institution in Sweden has passed university level education, these credits can be transferred to another higher education institution. However, if there are significant differences between the study programmes or courses, this may not be possible.

Only students who are, or have been, registered at the University of Skövde can apply for transfer of credits at this university.

The transfer of credits can be made for studies at Swedish or international universities. The decision must be made in relation to a specific course or a specific degree at the higher education institution receiving the application.

At the University of Skövde, you can transfer credits from:

  • universities in Sweden
  • universities outside Sweden
  • accreditation of prior learning

When should you apply for a transfer of credits?

The purpose of transferring credits is to shorten the time it takes for a student to achieve a degree from the University of Skövde.

International students should be aware that  the international credits will be converted to ECTS credits, and may not equal what appears on a transcript from a particular country.

You should apply for transfer of credits if:

  • the course is part of a vocational degree, since the content of the course is relevant to the education
  • the course included in your study programme is a preqrequisite for further studies within the programme

For some transfer of credits, no specific application is needed since the transfer is made in connection with the application for the Degree Certificate. If you are studying a programme leading to a general degree (see the University Degrees) and have completed courses at another Swedish university, you usually do not have to apply for a transfer of credits. The course can be included in the Degree Certificate directly. 

How do you apply for a transfer of credits?

We recommend that you always make an appointment with your study counsellor before a potential application to transfer credits. This meeting with the study counsellor should be made as early as possible. Sometimes, transferring credits can be done quickly while at other times, the process is more complex and time-consuming.

If you have taken a course at another Swedish university or a university outside of Sweden, you should fill out the form "Application for Transfer of Credits" and the following documents must be submitted

  • Transcript of Records, including grades, from international studies
  • Course description, including course literature

International documents should be submitted in the original language as well as English or Swedish.

When applying for a transfer of credits for courses taken here at the University of Skövde, no documents except the application form is necessary.

Decision to transfer credits

The decision to transfer credits is made by the Degree Evaluations Office. 

If your application is approved, you will receive an e-mail notification and within a few days, you will be able to see the transfer in Studentportalen.

If your application is denied, a written decision will be sent to the address on your application. The decision can be appealed.


Transfer of Credits

Application for transfer of credits, pdf

For questions regarding Transfer of Credits

Contact Study Counsellors
+46 500-44 80 00 (switchboard)

Contact Degree Evaluations Office
+46 500-44 80 00 (switchboard)