School of Informatics
I am interested in artificial and biological minds, and in the dynamics that emerge when biological and artifical “intelligent machines" meet (e.g. Human-Robot Interaction).
I am a researcher and Senior Lecturer at the School of Informatics – University of Skövde (Sweden). I hold a Ph.D in cognitive Systems from Linköping University, a M.Eng. in Electronic Engineering from the University of Bologna and a M.Sc in Computer Science from the University of Skövde (see my CV page for further details).
- Action and Intention Recognition in Human Interaction with Autonomous Systems (AIR). University of Skövde – Sweden. Funded by the Knowledge Foundation, Sweden.
- My colleagues Giulia Messina Dahlberg, Erik Billing, Jessica Lindblom and I have proposed of a normative model for HRI education. Our full article is freely available at the following link: Alberto Montebelli, Giulia Messina Dahlberg, Erik Billing, and Jessica Lindblom. Reframing HRI Education: A Dialogic Reformulation of HRI Education to Promote Diverse Thinking and Scientific Progress. Journal of Human-Robot Interaction, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 3-26, DOI: 10.5898/JHRI.6.2.Montebelli, 2017.
- Multimodal Programming by Demonstration for In-Contact Tasks. Aalto University, Helsinki – Finland. Funded by the Academy of Finland.
My research interests include:
- Biological and artificial minds (adaptive behavior, anticipation, multiple time scales, perception, embodied and situated cognition, metabolic embodiment);
- Human-Robot interaction;
- Programming by demonstration;
- Dynamic systems.
Click publications for a complete list of my published work.
Negotiating epistemic spaces for dialogue across disciplines in higher education: The case of the Pepper experimentMessina Dahlberg Giulia, Lindblom Jessica, Montebelli Alberto et al.EARLI, Joint SIG10-21 Conference, 2018, Luxembourg, 2018. Luxembourg: , 2018.
On Transferring Crafting Intentions from Humans to Robots: A Message to Manufacturers of the (Near) Future
Montebelli Alberto, Lindblom JessicaAdvances in Manufacturing Technology XXXII: Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, incorporating the 33rd National Conference on Manufacturing Research, September 11–13, 2018, University of Skövde, Sweden (163-168). Amsterdam: IOS Press, 2018.
Intention Disambiguation: When does action reveal its underlying intention?Montebelli Alberto, Tykal Martin12th ACM / IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI 2017), Vienna, Austira, March 6-9, 2017 – Workshop: The Role of Intentions in Human-Robot Interaction. 2017.
Reframing HRI Education: A Dialogic Reformulation of HRI Education to Promote Diverse Thinking and Scientific Progress
Montebelli Alberto, Billing Erik A., Lindblom Jessica et al.Journal of Human-Robot Interaction, 2017, 6(2), 3-26.
(Em)powering Emergent Cognition: Realistic proto-allostasis as a foundational route to cognitive abilityMontebelli Alberto, Lowe RobertEUCognition Meeting 08-09.12.2016 in Vienna. 2016.
Incrementally Assisted Kinesthetic Teaching for Programming by Demonstration
Tykal Martin, Montebelli Alberto, Kyrki VilleHuman-Robot Interaction (HRI), 2016 11th ACM/IEEE International Conference on: HRI 2016 (205-212). IEEE Computer Society, 2016.
Learning in-contact control strategies from demonstration
Racca Mattia, Pajarinen Joni, Montebelli Alberto et al.IROS 2016: 2016 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (688-695). IEEE, 2016.
Learning Movement Synchronization in Multi-component Robotic Systems
Thabet Mohammad, Montebelli Alberto, Kyrki Ville2016 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) Stockholm, Sweden, May 16-21, 2016 (249-256). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2016.
On handing down our tools to robots: Single-phase kinesthetic teaching for dynamic in-contact tasksMontebelli Alberto, Steinmetz Franz, Kyrki VilleProceedings of the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation: ICRA 2015 (5628-5634). IEEE conference proceedings, 2015.
Simultaneous kinesthetic teaching of positional and force requirements for sequential in-contact tasks
Steinmetz Franz, Montebelli Alberto, Kyrki VilleProceedings of the 2015 IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids) (202-209). IEEE Computer Society, 2015.