Houda's thoughts about Skövde
Where are you from?
– I come originally from Morocco. When I was 18 years old, I moved to live to Spain, where I started my university studies.
How is it to study in Skövde?
– Studying in Skövde is a memorable experience. I have learned many new things and met students from all over the world. It is the best decision I have made.
Why did you choose to study this programme?
– I chose this programme thanks to the recommendation from friends who already did the same programme and were really happy, so I decided to come from Spain and study at Skövde University.
What do you want to do for work in five years?
– In five years, I would like to work in a Swedish company, studying and evaluating ergonomics, using all the knowledge I acquired during my studies.
What tips would you offer a new student?
– My tips would be:
- While studying hard, don't forget to enjoy being in Sweden and in Skövde. The study period will end quickly, and you will regret not enjoying your time as a student.
- Try to participate in students' activities and attend international student meetings. It is essential not to be alone and make new friends. Don't be shy; students are very kind and want to make new friends too.
- If you have any problem, contact your teachers or the course responsible, don't hesitate because they are always happy to help.
- Register for the graduation ceremony. It was an excellent experience.
What is the biggest advantage of studying at a small school like the University of Skövde?
– It is like a second home for me; all the buildings are well designed and have all you need to study at the university. Being a small school makes it easy to know everyone and makes the students, teachers, and other employees feel like a big family.
What was the biggest surprise to you about being a student here?
– The biggest surprise I had was realizing that Swedish people were friendlier than I could ever imagine. They want to help you if you are in trouble; they are very kind to foreign people, which made me feel welcome.
How do you like the student accomodations?
– In my case, I have chosen the student apartment. I feel very lucky because I had my own space. The apartment was in front of the university. It took me 1 min to arrive the building G. The apartments are well maintained, with a bathroom and a small kitchen. I'm thrilled that in Skövde, as a student, you can have your own apartment in a student area.
What is your favorite thing about Skövde?
– My favorite thing about Skövde is the positive energy I feel every time I go out, the green spaces and lakes that give me the opportunity to chill out and enjoy amazing views.
What do you do in your free time?
– I hang out with friends in my student apartment or park in my free time, enjoying a barbeque and breathtaking landscapes. I also like to discover Skövde by bicycle.
What is the best thing about the University of Skövde?
– The best thing about the university of Skövde, I would say that the student's rights, the university ensures equality, impartiality, and fairness. Moreover, they are many departments that help protect students against any problem.
What is your favorite course you have taken at the University of Skövde?
– In this course, we have made a re-design of a backpack for commuters. We made sketches and interviewed people at the train station; we also made physical prototypes. Then in group, we made a physical backpack using the sewing machine and all we needed to make the design. The university covered the expenses of the materials.
Describe your programme in three words.
– Creative, enjoyable, and didactic.
Feel free to contact Houda with questions or thoughts!
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org