Huu Thien's thoughts about Skövde
Where are you from?
– My name is Thien Nguyen (means "kindness" in English). I come from the southern of Vietnam. I am currently a 2nd year master student in Data Science and a Skövde scholarship holder.
How is it to study in Skövde?
– My expertise in numerous data science research fields, such as machine learning, big data, and natural language processing, has grown significantly after my first year of study at University of Skövde. The most recent developments in this crucial and fascinating field were introduced to the students.
Why did you choose to study this programme?
– Data scientists have a virtually limitless number of job options. You can become a data analyst, software engineer, or technical specialist with a data science degree after graduating from University of Skövde. Data scientists who master this field and are familiar with the steps involved in processing, analysing, and deriving knowledge from extensive data are in high demand both in Sweden and globally. Glassdoor has recognised Data Scientist as the top job in the US. Five top ten positions are associated with analytics, big data, and data science.
What do you want to do for work in five years?
– I am currently a Junior Data Scientist at Metry AB in Gothenburg after my first year of studying at the University of Skövde. My objective in the next five years is to archive a PhD in Data Science while becoming an expert in Artificial intelligence. This will facilitate the development of the world to make exponential leaps in the future.
What tips would you offer a new student?
– The Data Science department focuses on self-empowered students who spend 25 to 30 hours weekly on lectures and projects. To achieve the best results in data science, one must develop their programming abilities and foundational knowledge through side projects and books. Moreover, students should understand their strengths and weaknesses to improve themselves. For instance, my strength is data visualisation, but I have a deficiency in Natural Language Processing. Therefore, I focused on projects related to sentimental analysis.
What is the most significant advantage of studying at a small school like the University of Skövde?
– The advantages I have experienced in the first year are the more focused skills development and professors being accessible. The student could choose between a wide range of projects with the help of the professors. The class is typically between 15-20 students, so you can have questions and issues solved directly in class.
What did you know about Sweden before you moved here?
– Understanding the destination where you want to study is always a positive idea. With the bits of help from the book "Sweden – Culture Smart! The Essential Guide to
Customs & Culture" by Charlotte DeWitt, and Neil Shipley, I could comprehend the general geography and culture before moving to Sweden.
What was the biggest surprise to you about being a student here?
– Since Southern Vietnam has tropical climate, it took a while for me to adjust to the weather in Sweden. Adaptable skills is crucial because there will be a lot of culture
shocks when you study abroad.
How do you like the student accommodations?
– I was assigned to live in a town nearby, Falköping, instead of Skövde. It is a small city with a calm and serenity, so if you prefer a quiet environment to study and chillax weekend with charming nature area, I would definitely recommend Falköping.
What is your favourite thing about Skövde?
– The geographic location of Skövde make it accessible to multiple destinations when I want to take a vacation nearby. Stockholm is around 2-hour train, Gothenburg is 1-hour train. It is convenient for a student to travel around the area since bus and train are both easily accessible.
What do you do in your free time?
– I am a sportive person so I took dance course in Skövde, climbing club in Skövde, and practice music performance in Falköping. For introvert, there are also book reading clubs and wide variety of choices for you. The student clubs also have movie nights, board games, and drawing session for students.
What is the best thing about the University of Skövde?
– The experience is down to individual experience. Personally, I have widened my social circle with international friends and connections. Kindness between strangers. Love at first sight. Loyalty and friends. Summer nights. I was able to experience all of this while studying at the University of Skövde.
What is your favourite course you have taken at the University of Skövde?
– The visual data analytics course focused on visualization and interaction techniques that assist decision-makers in identifying trends, patterns, or new pieces of information. The students thoroughly grasped the significance of such strategies while creating and utilizing data-demanding applications through lectures, seminars, and exciting project work.
Describe your programme in three words.
– Innovational, Progressive, Meaningful.
Ask Huu Thien
Feel free to contact Huu Thien with questions or thoughts!
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org