Mehdi's thoughts about Skövde
Where do you come from originally?
– I come from Morocco, a North African country bordering the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. Being 14 KM away from Europe and at the door of the African continent. The country´s culture and identity are a blend of different civilizations that marked its history. A blend still noticed within Moroccan people in their openness and hospitality.
How is it to study in Skövde?
– Studying in Skövde is one of the greatest experiences I have had. First, the city is like a natural reserve surrounded by a beautiful forest that holds different species and generates fresh air adequate for outdoor activities like running, mountain biking, and hiking. Second, the city is located in the south center of Sweden, close to all the big cities in Sweden, like Stockholm and Gothenburg. Still, at the same time, it is exceptionally preserved in terms of the Swedish culture and traditions. Last and not least, University of Skövde is a perfect place for anyone seeking knowledge; the environment is made for anyone to succeed, and I felt comfortable adapting since the university has almost a department for every situation a student can face.
Why did you choose to study this program?
– At a young age, I developed a great interest in understanding the environment we are living in. Consequently, I became keen to learn more about the molecular mechanisms that constitute life and understand how a sample code of four bases results in such a beautiful variety. Therefore, I chose to pursue my studies in a field that will allow me to dive further in the different mechanisms making our environment the way it is. The molecular biotechnology program given at University of Skövde directly caught my attention while making my research. After reading the curriculum and concerting with the university staff, I was seduced and took it as my first choice. A decision that I am grateful for until today!
What do you want to do for work in five years?
– My ambition is to become a university teacher, I choose this career goal since It will allow me to share the knowledge I gained during my learning journey and, at the same time, conduct research that hopefully can have an impact on the science community specially and humanity globally. Also, I am an active person, I like to diversify my fields of interests to be challenged, learn more about other sectors and also learn about my own self; So currently, I am involved with my brother in a coffee shop with a unique concept that we are planning to open in a near future.
What tips would you offer a new student?
– From my personal experience, the key success factor is organization; With a plan and organization strategy from the beginning of the semester, I was able to track both my personal and academic hours of study. Making sure to have enough time to prepare assignments and quizzes. The strategy don´t have to be 100% unchangeable, in opposite a student must be flexible to adapt according to the his needs.
What is the biggest advantage of studying at a small school like the University of Skövde?
– Studying at University of Skövde allows me first to explore different perspectives than the ones I saw previously. The educative system in Sweden has demonstrated to be very efficient in sensitizing its students about their responsibilities by giving them the knowledge and skills qualifying them to make a real difference on a personal level as well as on a professional one. Also, the fact that the university is small increases the quality of the service provided both by school staff and teachers. They are always happy to receive students, answer their inquiries and guide them in all the possible ways. Finally, the most significant advantage of studying at a small school like the University of Skövde is being able to network fast, thus having a valuable community after graduation that I believe it can help in my career goals.
What do you do in your free time?
– I organize my free time based on the seasons. In winter, I go primarily to the gym and use the different facilities such as the workout machines, sauna, and pool. As for when it is a bit sunny, I go out to the Billingen forest to run, go mountain biking, and swim in the lakes. I also like to go for fika´s with friends, it’s always a good opportunity to discuss our ambitions and dreams.
What is your favorite course you have taken at the University of Skövde?
– The most exited course I had at the University of Skövde was the R programming course, where I learned how to use bioinformatics to analyze omics data and draw accurate conclusions.
Describe your programme in three words.
– Knowledge beyond expectations.
Feel free to contact Mehdi with questions or thoughts!
Send an email to email@example.com