Institutionen för biovetenskap
I am a scientist with a background in molecular and cellular biology, with strong interest in molecular bases of diseases and the use of extracellular vesicles for the delivery of RNA. In particular, my current work at the University of Skövde, in the group of Prof. Jane Synnergren, involves cardiac disease modeling and the use of extracellular vesicles (EVs) for the delivery of therapeutic mRNA in the context of cardiac diseases.
Education and Scientific Background
I completed my undergraduated studies in Molecular and Cellular Biology at the University of Catania (Italy) in 2009. Hereafter, I obtained my PhD in Biology, Human Genetics and Bioinformatics in the lab of Prof. Michele Purrello at the over-mentioned University, in 2014. During my PhD studies I have been working with cellular and exosomal microRNA involvement in drug response and pathogenesis of colorectal cancer and neuroblastoma, and in 2013, I spent four months as visiting scientist at the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) in Heidelberg (Germany). Following, I have conducted postdoctoral work with Dr. Hadi Valadi at the University of Gothenburg (Sweden) from 2015-2019. As postdoc, I have been working with (i) the mechanisms by which the RNA are sorted into exosomes and with (ii) in vitro and in vivo delivery of therapeutic mRNA by using the EVs as RNA delivery vectors. As EVs are naturally produced by the body, they are potentially non immunogenic/toxic and, if used as delivery vectors, could improve the efficacy of gene therapy. In July 2019 I started my research activity in the group of Prof. Jane Synnergren at the University of Skövde.
- Maugeri M, Nawaz M, Papadimitriou A, Angerfors A, Camponeschi A et al. Linkage between endosomal escape of LNP-mRNA and loading into EVs for transport to other cells. Nat Commun. In press. Sept 2019.
- Théry C, Witwer KW et al. Minimal information for studies of extracellular vesicles 2018 (MISEV2018): a position statement of the International Society for Extracellular Vesicles and update of the MISEV2014 guidelines. ISEV, 7:1.
- Nawaz M, Shah N, Zanetti BR, Maugeri M, Silvestre RN et al. Extracellular Vesicles and Matrix Remodeling Enzymes: The Emerging Roles in Extracellular Matrix Remodeling, Progression of Diseases and Tissue Repair. Cells. 2018 Oct 13;7(10). pii: E167. Review.
- Statello L, Maugeri M, Garre E, Nawaz M, Wahlgren J et al. Identification of RNA-binding proteins in exosomes capable of interacting with different types of RNA: RBP-facilitated transport of RNAs into exosomes. PLoS ONE 13(4): e0195969.
- Fatima F, Ekstrom K, Nazarenko I, Maugeri M, Valadi H et al. Non-coding RNAs in Mesenchymal Stem Cell-Derived Extracellular Vesicles: Deciphering Regulatory Roles in Stem Cell Potency, Inflammatory Resolve, and Tissue Regeneration. Review, Front. Genet. 25 Oct 2017.
- Santonocito M, Vento M, Guglielmino MR, Battaglia R, Wahlgren J, Ragusa M, Barbagallo D, Borzì P, Rizzari S, Maugeri M et al. Molecular characterization of exosomes and their microRNA cargo in human follicular fluid: bioinformatic analysis reveals that exosomal microRNAs control pathways involved in follicular maturation. Fertil Steril. 2014 Sep 17.
- Ragusa M, Statello L, Maugeri M , Barbagallo C, Passanisi R et al. Highly skewed distribution of miRNAs and proteins between colorectal cancer cells and their exosomes following Cetuximab treatment: biomolecular, genetic and translational implications. Oncoscience. Epub. 2014 Mar 16.
- Ragusa M, Statello L, Maugeri M, Majorana A, Barbagallo D et al. Specific alterations of the microRNA transcriptome and global network structure in colorectal cancer after treatment with MAPK/ERK inhibitors. J Mol Med (Berl) 2012 Jun 4.
- Ragusa M, Majorana A, Statello L, Maugeri M, Salito L et al. Specific alterations of microRNA transcriptome and global network structure in colorectal carcinoma after cetuximab treatment. Mol Cancer Ther. 2010 Dec;9(12):3396-409. Epub 2010 Sep 29.