Practical information for applicants
- PhD studies (third cycle courses and study programmes) at the University are, as a rule, funded by employment as a doctoral student (a doctoral position).
- All vacancies are advertised under available positions.
- All applicants must complete a formal application procedure: each instance of recruitment involves the appointment of an expert group, which develops a profile of requirements for the position in question and performs an initial assessment of the applicants.
- At the University of Skövde, there are no scolarships or study grants that can be applied for.
- To become a PhD student, you must be both admitted to the PhD studies and employed in a position at the University. If you are already employed within industry or the public sector, you have the opportunity to become an externally employed doctoral student (also called Industrial PhD student).
- Lecturers are also able to conduct their own PhD studies within the framework of their time for skills enhancement.
Since 1 January 2011, the University of Skövde has been entitled to award research-level degrees (third-cycle qualifications) in Informatics. The subject of Informatics covers a broad spectrum of research, which is conducted by the School of Informatics (IIT) and the School of Engineering Science (ING). Examples of areas in which research is conducted include artificial intelligence, information systems, cognitive science, distributed real-time systems, human-computer interaction, game development, software systems, and automated and virtual production technology.
Some of our PhD students conduct their research studies within one of the ResearchSchools associated with the University: IPSI, INSiDR or Smart Industry Sweden.
Other research subject areas
Phd studies are also conducted in other areas, such as Biomedicine, Health and Care Science and Business Administration. Research students are admitted to other Universities and conduct their research at the University of Skövde.
Find out more about being admitted to an other University.
Current positions for PhD students
All positions are advertised under available positions.
Employment, entry requirements and funding
On the page below, you can find out more about the different forms of employment available to PhD students at the University of Skövde, the entry requirements for PhD students applying for a position, and how the various positions are funded: